Monday, October 21, 2013

Ubuntu updates and Sitecom Cloud security woes

Recently I ran into trouble updating my Ubuntu systems at home. Suddenly certain packages could not be downloaded from Ubuntu official servers. So I switched to the national mirror.... no avail. The another European mirror... same problem.  So that was really weird, different mirrors showing the exact same problem.

Packages I could not download had DRM in their name or SSL or other cryptography related names.  Also a weird and strange coincidence.. So it started to feel like the problem is most likely at my side..

I did buy a new Sitecom switch recently... and that it hit me. I did turn on Sitecom Cloud Security trial to see whether I liked it! Maybe the Cloud Security filters those packages?
Turned it off.... and yes problem solved!

I have no idea why on earth official, signed debian packages are filtered by Sitecom  Cloud Security... but don't count me in for a subscription to this service.

No comments:

Post a Comment